Cannaflour makes for an easy and versatile way to incorporate cannabis flower into your diet. It’s so versatile it can be used in almost any recipe requiring flour that isn’t for a child’s birthday cake or school bake sale!
Since cannaflour should be used immediately after it is made, the key is to ready the cannabis ahead of time. It is important to make sure that the herb you use is of the highest quality and decarboxylated to activate the desired cannabinoids, such as THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol). It also needs to be absolutely bone dry, to retard mold and to match the consistency of flour when ground. Sufficient drying occurs during decarb, which is performed as follows (check the quick video here).
- Preheat your oven: 240°F/120ºC for THC; 280ºF/140°C for CBD; or 320º for CBN.
- Place your cannabis in your DecarBox™, and seal it tightly. (Alternatively, use a roasting bag or covered baking dish as shown above.)
- Bake on the center oven rack: 30-45 minutes for THC; 60-90 minutes for CBD; or 90-120 minutes for CBN.
- When time is up, remove the sample from the oven, and let it cool completely; to speed up the process, place it in the freezer. This step is critical to lock in various terpenoid flavors and retain the maximum phytonutrient profile of your sample.
- Once your botanicals are completely cooled, you are ready to make cannaflour.
What You Will Need for Cannaflour:
- Flour (use whatever type your recipe or dietary regimen calls for: all-purpose, whole-wheat, bread, cake, gluten-free, organic, etc.)
- ¼ ounce/7 g cannabis flower buds per cup of flour, dried and decarboxylated
- High-speed food processor
- Glass storage jar with airtight lid
1. Carefully remove all stems from the cannabis flower buds.
2. Grind the buds in a food processor along with 1 tablespoon/15 ml of flour per 7 g of cannabis used. Repeat this step as necessary, until you have produced a fine powder.
3. Sift the cannabis powder and flour together until they are thoroughly mixed.
Special thanks to Executive Chef Joey Galeano of MagicalButter.com
● Always remember to keep all edibles containing cannaflour securely out of children’s reach. (For safety first. But this also leaves more for you and your fortunate friends!)
● For best results, always use more flour than flower! A good rule of thumb is to keep the flour content between 65 and 75 percent.
● Use cannaflour in recipes just as you would regular flour.
● Store your cannaflour in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. For best results, use it within 7 days.
Thanks to Executive Chef Joey Galeano of MagicalButter.com.